So, if you know a little bit about me, then you’d know I am not only a barista but I LOVE my coffee! I always start my work day with a coffee and then if I need an afternoon sweet treat – an iced coffee is my favourite choice or beverage. I wasn’t always a big coffee fan when I started as a barista, I was more of a chai latte fan to be honest. In learning how to make coffees that start people’s day off on the right foot, and giving them a smile on their face makes my day.
So I thought I had to do a post highlighting the benefits of coffee because why not! Obviously with all foods we know that we must enjoy them in moderation, so I will also be sharing some disadvantages of coffee that are interesting to know as well. And I’m not endorsing sugar filled iced coffee with sugar syrups, ice-cream overloaded, etc. Even though I won’t lie sometimes a delicious caramel iced-latte is my favourite of all. But this is more about the coffee itself.
So this is for all my coffee lovers out there!
BENEFITS OF A COFFEE A DAY!
- Improves focus, alertness and energy levels – Containing caffeine, a stimulant, blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter adenosine. Caffeine then increases the activity in the brain and releases other neurotransmitters like norepinephrine and dopamine. Many studies show that this improves brain functions such as memory, mood, energy levels, reaction time, vigilance and general mental function.
- Helps Burn Fat and Lose Weight – Caffeine is found in almost all fat-burning supplements. Studies show that caffeine can boost your metabolic rate by 3-11%.
- Reduces Risk of Cancers – studies have also shown a significant reduced risk of cancers such as liver, endometrial and colorectal cancer. Up to 40% decrease with liver cancer. Up to 25% decrease with both endometrial and colorectal cancer.
So if you guys love coffee as much as I do, then feel free to enjoy your cup a day and allow caffeine to stimulate you in a way that adds to your day. Don’t become a slave to it’s power. We all know too much of a good thing is never good.
- May Lower your Risk of Type 2 Diabetes – studies have shown that people who drink coffee have a significantly reduced risk of diabetes type 2.
- Antioxidants – Coffee contains a lot of antioxidants and this helps the body get rid of free radicals which are very harmful. Free radicals are toxic and may cause inflammation
SOME DISADVANTAGES OF TOO MUCH COFFEE
Too much caffeine in our bodies can lead to things such as;
- Insomnia and Restlessness
- Increased Heart Rate
- Digestive Issues
- Bad quality coffee can also contain toxins
- Not safe to have too much caffeine when pregnant
I hope you all enjoyed this informative blog post. These facts were found from websites such as Healthline.com, ThinkingNutrition.com, Health Harvard Blog, Hopkins Medicine, WarriorCoffee Blog, and Medical News Today. This post is not sponsored.